This Week in Geek (31/03-6/04/08)

Buys

Warning: Splurging ahead. Last weekend, I got on a David Mamet trip for some reason and realized I only have a couple of his films in my library (Spartan and State & Main). So I started ordering more. His first, House of Game, is the only one that made it to my house before Friday. I also got Donnie Darko, because I'm apparently the only person on Earth who hasn't seen it yet, and The Machinist (with an emaciated Christian Bale), which I've been eying for a while.

Two Doctor Who DVDs came in. First up was The Time Warrior (Sarah Jane Smith's first adventure with the 3rd Doctor), which has been too long coming in my opinion. I guess we're going to see all the Sontaran stories issued this year thanks to their reappearance in New Who Series 4. Then there's Timelash with the 6th Doctor, apparently one of the very worst stories ever made. Never seen it, but I hope it matches the hype. I'm most excited by the Doctor Who Series 3 soundtrack however. The first track has already become a personal theme song that I am happy to hum for the next 3 months whenever I walk into a room.

Over the weekend, my pal Bauble came down to Moncton and wanted to inspect the newer comic book store in town (The Comics Hunter). I'd never been because it's a bit far from home, but I'll have to find my way there more regularly now that I've broken the seal, as it were. Great service, extremely large inventory, and personal connections made with the clerk right off the bat. I bought a couple of Showcase Presents: Brave and the Bold vol.2 and Superman Family vol.2 (with the Tubby Lois story). I can also now say that I ended RomQuest(TM) in one go. They had all 75 issues I was missing and a good prices too. Expect some Spaceknight content soon.

"Accomplishments"

I flipped exactly one DVD, though that's not much of an achievement considering it had no real extras. The movie is Wong Kar-Wai's directorial debut, As Tears Go By, starring a couple of my favorite Chinese stars, Andy Lau and Maggie "can do no wrong" Cheung. It's pretty rough compared to his other films, but it's still a good tragedy. The music definitely dates it. The 80s were one cheesy decade, weren't they? Took the better part of the week to get the Chinese version of Berlin's Take My Breath Away out of my head! Arrgh!

Early in the week, I also produced a half-dozen cards for my Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG, including Captain Jack, Martha and the Master. The new series started in the UK this weekend. I can't wait to see what they have cooking this year.
Someone Else's Post of the Week
Of all the April Fool's blog mutations, my favorite was Comics Should Be Fun's riff on the classic Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror". You should definitely keep clicking "To be continued" to see what an evil stuffed bull would do with a comics blog.

Comments

De said…
I keep the Series 3 soundtrack on fairly heavy rotation on the iPod. It helps immensely during the commute.

Speaking of Who, I caught Martha's first Torchwood appearance yesterday. Not quite sure if she's a good fit for that show or not but I have another seven episodes to find out.
Siskoid said…
It's great just for reading comics too. Nice and heroic.

I'm happy to report Martha's appearances in Torchwood do not compromise her character as developed in Doctor Who.