Batman and the Outsiders #2: Pages 23-24

We left Baron Bedlam in mid-air, just about to be rescued by... Halo? Metamorpho? Batman swinging on a line?Oh my... So not only does Bedlam get slaughtered Rasputin-style (thrown off a rampart, clubbed, forked, axed and torched), but Batman gives Geo-Force a big thumbs up. What the HELL? Batman's not supposed to condone murder in between the early Golden Age and Frank Miller's wet dreams, is he?

I guess what's done is done. What now?
Dr. "No Guarantees" Jace might be able to help Rex if he was of the Markovian royal family, but nooooooo... Now Metamorpho needs a hobby.
A plan is hatched. Not a very good one though.
"I don't know anything about any of your lives, really, but I've just decided you were losers who have nothing to go back to. Not even you, Prince Brion. And certainly not you, Black Lightning. School teacher? How much does THAT pay? What are you gonna do, Metamorpho, go back to Sapphire? Have you looked in the mirror? She tells me she can't stand the sight of you. Every night. In my bed. Cuz I'm banging her on the side. That's right!"

And now let's listen in on the new team's thoughts...
GF: "Listen, JACK, I knew what my powers were the second I got them. I didn't have to go around the world and TRAIN for 10 years."
BL: "Hey Bats, I know this Halo chick doesn't have a backstory, but whatchoo talkin' about I don't know who I am? Like I'm the only one with a touch a' amnesia? You gonna respec' boy!"
Halo: "..."
Rex: "I'm thinkin' of a goal right now. Howzabout I shove that cape where the sun don't shine?"
Katana: "Hmm... I could do with a backstory too..."
And there you have it. That's how you choose your superteam name. You let Geo-Force choose it from some random comment Metamorpho made. Yes, that's it alright. You're all Outsiders. Like you Katana and Halo, who we know nothing about. And you Rex, Batman and GF, who have led pampered lives. Or you Black Lightning... poor guy.
Heard worse? Yes, I admit Justice League of America is a mouthful, and pretty red, white and blue for a team with more aliens than Americans. Teen Titans... well, what are you gonna do when you grow up? Legion of Super-Heroes... great, model yourself after the French. Infinity Inc... ok, ok, we heard plenty worse.

Listen awhile... and be dumb. One more issue to go before we have the full origin. Unless you thought the Outsiders were going to be based in a small European nation on the cusp of discovering the steam engine.

Comments

Austin Gorton said…
The Avengers got their name from a random comment by Ant-Man...though they were discussing team names at the time...

Man, I'm loving these daily Outsider pages. It's better than any of daily comic strips in the newspaper. Any chance you could be persuaded to go on past the origin? Or at least, try the same format with a book a little less painful for you to read longterm?
Siskoid said…
Well, issue #3 isn't really part of the origin, I'm just stretching things a bit because it is so goddamn awful!

Thanks for the kind words. I was expecting to keep going, but with breaks between issues, just to rest my wrists.
The Mutt said…
No comic that features page after page of Aparo explodey-head punches can be called truly awful.

I've really been enjoying these too.

But what if Metamorpho had said, "A buncha mutts like us?"
Siskoid said…
A quick scan of issue 3 shows no exploding fists of fury, though the action is on the whole pretty dynamic.

But wait til you see the plot and character development!!!