Spring Cleaning: My Ambush Bug Action Figure

Once upon a time, I wwas a regular ToyFare buyer, not because I bought any measure of toys, but because I really enjoyed those pictures of home-made action figures. These were made by people who didn't give a damn if there'd never been a fully-articulated Deadman or Melter, by golly, they were gonna make their own! And I thought I could do that too!

So I scoured yard sales and pawn shops in search of figures that looked like they could become other figures, and when I did, I attempted the ultimate action figure: Ambush Bug!

My basis: A really discolored Super-Powers Riddler figure.
My tools: A hobby knife and sandpaper.
The result before I stopped working on it due to (I believe) marital problems: A bald Riddler!

But you can sorta see where it was going, right? The antennae were my only real chalenge (bent toothpicks?). Anyway, I can't bring myself to throw him away now, just in case I ever decide to finish my Ambush Bug with Super-Powers action! (Squeeze his legs and he writes a riddle! - well, I can't very well change the mechanism can I?)
People who do that sort of thing well: Fat Sal! Charlieman! Bill Burns! Ah man, just Google it, there are plenty more to like.

Comments

rob! said…
i woulda bought an Ambush Bug action figure if they had ever made one. he could make fun of my other Super Powers figures!

*pop!*
De said…
I'm still holding out some hope that DC Direct will offer one at some point. Who would have thought we'd get a Weaponer of Qward?
Anonymous said…
There seems to be some out there.

see this link

and this link also.
Siskoid said…
Nice!

The first link is to the HeroClix figure (not an action figure though), but the second is to a successful attempt at a homemade Ambush Bug (though the maker erroneously places AB in the Legion of Substitute-Heroes Special, while he actually appeared in DC Comics Presents #59.

But really cool set of figures.