This Week in Geek (2-8/04/07)

"Accomplishments"

Finished The Movie Set for my Who CCG, and I guess that's not much of an accomplishment since it was only 7 cards.
I'm looking to start work on a full 190-card expansion called Ancient Foes next, with Sontarans, Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, et al. as prominent features. I'll keep you abreast as usual. On another Whovian note, I did manage to watch The Shakespeare Code over the weekend (Series 3 Episode 2) and between Doctor Who and Shakespeare, it had the potential to be one of my very favorites. Unfortunately, Shakespeare's written as a jerk, so it remains good, but not especially charming. Martha's still great though.

Warcrap: Lynda with a Y leveled from 25 to 30! Wow. I didn't realize I played so much. Got my air totem and everything. And while I did go through a couple Dungeons with friends, it was pretty routine stuff. Especially considering that my favorite screenshot was this:
But it's really hard to position yourself just right when typing the /sleep command!

As predicted, I flipped the tape on Justice League Unlimited's last season, and was surprised at how much sex and violence there was in it. I mean, Tala has sex with Gorilla Grodd AND Lex Luthor AND the Flash. That's just not right. I'm not really complaining, mind you. It was fun to see the Legion of Doom again.

Easter weekend has been big on flipping DVDs actually. The first to go was Teen Titans Season 2, and though as a comic book geek, I pretty much knew how the Terra arc would end, those were still the best episodes. I've got a friend who's playing an earth manipulator in our RPG campaign, and he's got to see this. On the down side, the DVD extra amounted to a montage of the last season's best moments. Pretty frickin' weak.





On the strength of 28 Days Later, I promised myself I'd watch Danny Boyle's Millions. 180 degrees from 28 Days, but Boyle really pulls this project off as well. Wow. Truly beautiful (and rather appropriate Easter viewing). The film managed to touch me, in great part because little Damien reminded me of my own kid brother, even though the brothers' interests (imaginative/material) are clearly reversed in our cases. Anyway, big recommendation. Boyle again doesn't disappoint on the commentary, and there are plenty of deleted scenes and behind the scene featurettes.




I wanted to put a dent in my unwatched list, so I topped the weekend off with a couple of cheapies (i.e. DVDs without any special features). While I was on a British Isles kick, I watched Waking Ned Devine, a gift from Carolynn, a heart-warming Irish comedy. Absolutely charming. Fun connections to Millions: 1) Jimmy Nesbitt is in both. 2) Boyle mentions on his commentary that all British films have a scene in a toilet and a scene with tea. The same is true of Irish films, but replace tea with whiskey. I'll be watching for that in future.





The other cheapie was Bottle Rocket, which I got in a 5$ bin somewhere. Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson's first film (now well known for Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums). It's also Luke and Owen Wilson's first film. And James Caan's, uhm... 48th. It describes itself as "Reservoir Geeks", but I the characters aren't really geeks. I guess it made me think of Made... of the morons on a heist subgenre. Perhaps not a masterpiece, but solidely offbeat. And no, I don't know what that title means.

Ok, well, that's it! I'll be back next week with more (as if I don't post 2-3 times a day in between roundups).

Comments