This Week in Geek (26/02-04/03/07)

Buys

Well, with the improv season winding down, I thought I might get back into World of Warcraft a bit, and to do so, I got me the Burning Crusade expansion pack. Hey, Shamans (Shamen?) are might favorite class and my friends only ever want to play Alliance, so what else am I gonna do? (See "Accomplishments".)

Some comics purchases to consider: I went to my friendly neighbourhood store to get the most recent Showcase Presents releases, the much-anticipated Aquaman and the "I'm getting it cuz it's a collection" Green Lantern vol. 2, and they still had that 2-for-1 deal going on trade paperbacks! So based on the blogosphere buzz, I also got the newly arrived Nextwave: Agents of HATE vol.1. Looks good to date. And speaking of blogosphere recommendations, I bought my first "rag" in years with the relaunch of Brave and the Bold. Damn you, Comic Treadmill! You made it sound so good! (Have yet to read it, but I'm sure I can fit it in my Batman/Thing war.)

"Accomplishments"

Not much to report on the Warcrap front, since I only started back on friday. My warrior, Sarajane, went from lvl 50 to 51½, and I started a cute Shaman called Lyndawithay (Lynda with a Y). Doctor Who fans will note the theme.

Big Finish Audios? Just the next chapter in the Gallifrey saga, "Lies". I thought it was too talky and slow-going, with some annoying mind-switching between Romana and Leela. I'm sure the story'll pick up in the next installment. Speaking of Doctor Who, I guess you can call this an "accomplishment", but I just made a Whovian out of my roommate, who's been eating through Series 1 and 2 at an alarming rate. Next step: The classic series.

Role-played today. Same old Crusaders campaign, but with a twist. I've been meaning to toy with my main NPC's atomic powers for a while now, and I made them go haywire taking the PCs into a subatomic world inside his DNA. The idea is more or less inspired of those old JLA comics where the Atom could shrink down to a subatomic universe where he was a giant. Remember those? Anyway, it gave me a chance to steal some fantasy stuff from other RPG products and I made it really weird. And then effectively stranded one of the characters on the face of some lost electron, while everyone else was rescued. I'm building a mystery of it and calling it Neutron Dance Part 1 of 7. Yeah, it's our first "story arc".

That's it for this week, hope you had your own geeky fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Part 1 of 7!?! That's like 25% of the campaign so far! :P
Siskoid said…
Since we are mimicking the DC universe of the late 80s, and are now in late Fall of 1989, I thought it would be appropriate to start doing story arcs like the comics at the time were.

It was all Teasdale Imperative and Janus Directive and other such nonsense. I went for the silly pun.

And of course, each chapter will be an episode unto itself (like Armor Wars, for example) to allow PCs to come and go with their players. For example, since Absolut cannot play in the next session (some stupid trip to NY with his girlfriend's parents), he was "lost". So now we sorta have to rescue him.

Made for a great cliffhanger too.